The Challenge? Live 7 days without a smart phone. Challenge accepted. Let’s be honest our generation have the tech neck. You never see people sitting on the tube, train, bus or even restaurant fully engaged in the conversation and talking to people run them. They are sat with there neck looking down at a smart phone. Scrolling through Facebook, twitter, instagram. On whatsapp, taking pictures of there food and editing them. Asda approached me and said what if you didn’t do all that for 7 days, would you see a benefit. My first thought was yeah, the benefit would be that I would have major FOMO. However after taking a step back I realised how important it was to try this and give myself a break from always on the go. I never have time to stop and enjoy the moment. So I did it.
What I Found? I found it very hard at first I kept getting my phone out and just staring at it, realising I couldn’t scroll through Facebook even though I don’t really pay attention. Sometimes I just scroll and daydream and don’t even look what’s going past. Lets get a pros and cons list to see my outcome.
- Unable to check my emails when I’m out and about.
- Can’t just take a quick snap of my Starbucks to show the world
- Going back to basics has major FOMO for the latest apps and games
- Can’t use whatsapp, I feel like people my age don’t text and it’s like the dark ages now
- I slept a lot better without scrolling through my phone for like an hour before bed. The light on your phone can mess up your brain to get ready for sleep
- When I sat down to check my work emails I could fully focus on them without half focusing on something else
- Not only that, I found I was more focused on a lot of things throughout the day
- I enjoyed my friends/partners company a lot more because I was focusing on them completely.
How I managed:
- Use an camera instead of a phone
- Use an alarm clock instead of a phone
- Use a journal or notepad instead of an app
I would highly recommend giving this a go even if its just for a day, try 24 hours without your phone’s extra bits. What do you guys think? Could you do it? Let me know in the comments below.