A new study which has explored the cultural tension around the role impulsivity plays in women’s lives and why adopting a smart approach to impulsiveness is becoming such an empowering skill for women.
Below are the research results show how much we could improve certain aspects in our life if we just let our impulsive side out a little more. I know I would certainly change a few things if I could do them again or do more things out of my comfort zone.
ten (31%) women only do something out of their comfort zone a few times
Six out of ten (
fear taking risks in their careers
quarter of women (28%) wish they were more spontaneous
major regrets in life:
6 out of 10 women would happily ‘do things differently’ if they had their time again
- One in five said it played on their mind they ‘could have been a better daughter’, while more than one in ten said they felt they could have put more effort into being ‘a better mother
- More than one in ten women said they wished they had children, while around 7 per cent said they felt they had children ‘too early’
- Top 5 regrets for women:
- Not trying hard enough at school
- Not losing weight on a diet
- Choosing the wrong career path
- Not getting on the property ladder
- Spending a night with someone I shouldn’t
Don’t look at these results and think how they affect you too, look at them and think ‘maybe I should go for it’. Regret nothing, it’s never too late to make a change. Let your impulsive side out, didn’t try hard enough at school? Take an evening class. Didn’t get on the property ladder? Start saving some money and try now!
I have been told I am a fashion fixer. I feel I am in a way, but still on a journey to improving and loving my body. I dress to my body shape and wear clothes that flatter my figure.
Caryn Franklin, a beauty expert says
- “Impulsivity enriches sensations and heightens opportunities for adventure, and ultimately, what life can be about.”
- “We’re becoming more rebellious about what we call fashion. We don’t tie ourselves into a look or a uniform that is dictated by the brand. Our tastes and our styling choices are more eclectic. We are beginning to be our own taste makers because we want authenticity.”
So, I am looking to be more impulsive in life, say yes to the things you wouldn’t normally. Step outside your comfort zone. Stop wishing for the future and clinging to the past, enjoy the now.
What is the most impulsive thing you’ve done? Let me know in the comments below.